TfL’s English Language Requirement
Since 14 October 2016, all Private Hire Driver Licence submissions and renewals processed by TfL have required you to submit evidence of a TfL-approved English language qualification. If you haven’t already, you are required to submit this evidence by 30 September 2020. To find out if you are required to submit evidence of a English certificate, please refer to your private hire paper licence (under the “Conditions” section)
What evidence is acceptable to TfL?
This is a list of examples of suitable evidence you can supply to prove you meet the requirement. The list is not exhaustive. The subject of the qualification does not matter as long as it was taught in English.
- UK GCSE/O level (or equivalent) certificate at grades A* to G
- UK AS-Level/A level certificate
- UK NVQ*/BTEC/City & Guilds qualification, along with confirmation from the awarding body that the qualification provided is equivalent to GCSE or above (for example, a Blue Badge Guide qualification)
- UK BA Hons, BSc Hons degree or higher i.e. master's, PhD
- UK HNC/HND qualification
- SELT certificate at B1 level or higher, issued by Trinity College London or IELTS showing proficiency in reading, writing, speaking and listening
What is a SELT certificate?
A SELT certificate is a qualification that is provided by one of the two approved interim English Language test providers. These are Trinity College London and IELTS (International English Language Test System).
- Trinity College London's ISE I qualification will be accepted by TfL as evidence of meeting the new English language requirement. Further information can be found HERE
- IELTS Academic and General Training tests are both accepted by TfL as evidence of meeting the new English language requirement. Further information can be found HERE
How do I submit evidence to TfL?
To submit evidence by email, you can scan your qualification certificate and email it to TfL. The email address to send to is firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. Please include your Private Hire Licence Number in the subject of the email.
If you have any questions about submitting your English Language evidence, you can call TfL on 0343 222 4444 and select options 1, 1, 2 in order to be directed to the correct department, or email TfL at firstname.lastname@example.org
Further information can be found HERE: